Bright and early this morning, I put my 12, almost 13 year old, on a bus today with his entire 6th grade class for a 3 day/ 2 night camping trip to the Everglades. He was so excited, he insisted packing himself and when the head of middle school corralled the kids for a meeting and to prepare them to load the bus, he jumped right to the front of assembly line to load everyone’s luggage on the bus. I stood back and watched him with a crooked smile as he was working to lift each of his classmate’s bags over his shoulder onto the back of the bus in his neon yellow and black Puma outfit and teal blue sneakers. I was filled with so much love for this kid that I missed him already.
I hope that while he is away:
1. He doesn’t get eaten by an alligator.
2. He doesn’t get bitten by a poisonous snake or spider.
3. He uses bug repellant so he doesn’t come home with dengue fever.
4. He uses sunscreen so he doesn’t get melanoma when he is 50.
5. Most importantly, I hope he remembers to shower every day and use a lot of soap.